Over on the dev version of our digital collections site we are working on lots of new features. One of them being JPEG2000 support for our World War I trench maps, World War I aerial photos, and World War II Italian topographical maps. Lightbox2 simply does not cut it when researchers would like to examine these wonderful images. Being that we are pretty short staffed here and don't have the wherewithall to whip up a Drupal module to do this "properly", we have come up with what I think is a pretty creative solution to adding the jp2 images to the records in Drupal.

First off we setup Adore-Djatoka and started converting all of our tifs to jp2 with the compress.sh utility that comes with Djatoka. We have all of the aerial photos and topographical maps converted. However, we are running into to some heap space problems with the trench maps. I am assuming it is because of their shear size - 400MB-2.5GB. Heap space errors aside, we setup the resolver and the IIPImage Viewer - sample.

Next we setup a CCK IFrame field for each content type and prepped our imports. This is where we ran into a bit of trouble - Node Import does not support CCK IFrame. Problem - time to get creative! We decided to import the records without the jp2 field, and would update then in the database which in turn presented us with a couple more problems... err, how about we say quirks. The update was fairly straight-forward, just like the following two MySQL queries:


UPDATE content_field_jp2 c JOIN content_field_identifier d ON (c.nid = d.nid) JOIN node n ON (c.nid = n.nid)SET field_jp2_url = CONCAT('http://digitalcollections.mcmaster.ca:8080/adore-djatoka/iipi/viewer.htm...', d.field_identifier_value) WHERE n.type = 'wwiap';


UPDATE content_field_jp2 c JOIN content_field_identifier d ON (c.nid = d.nid) SET field_jp2_attributes = 'a:4:{s:5:"width";s:4:"100%";s:6:"height";s:3:"768";s:11:"frameborder";s:1:"0";s:9:"scrolling";s:4:"auto";}';

Once the above queries were run the actual nodes were not technically updated due to actually needing to invoke the hooks needed to actually update them. Or as I like to call them, Drupal's rules, regulations and procedures. Basically we had to batch re-save all of them. Hooray for View Bulk Operations! However, we noticed a problem after we re-saved all of the nodes from a particular content type; it did not always reflect what we updated it to. We discovered that the CCK Cache was interfering. The solution was to wipe the 'content_cache' table, run our two update queries again, then batch re-save all of the records. The results are pretty nice, we have our embedded jp2 with our metadata. Now just to theme everything!

blogimage: 
blog image

Add new comment